Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

First Work and Holiday visa

This visa lets people 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip.

From 15 December 2021, fully vaccinated eligible Working Holiday Maker visa holders (subclasses 417 and 462) can come to Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption. For more information, see latest news.


You must be aged 18 to 30 years old .
You must not have previously entered Australia on a:

  • Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)
  • Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

You must have at least Functional English.
You have Functional English if you meet one of the following:

  • you are a citizen of and hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland
  • you are a citizen of and hold a valid passport issued by Israel and have successfully completed an English Bagrut exam in the level of 3 study units
  • you have completed a relevant approved English language test or assessment
  • you have undertaken relevant education

You must give us a letter of support from your government (or alternative as stated below)
You must have enough money to:

  • support yourself while you are in Australia
  • leave Australia at the end of your stay

This is usually about AUD5,000 for your initial stay, plus the fare to where you are going after leaving Australia.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *